Tuesday, February 2, 2010

a packed metrodome

Went for a 5 mile run tonight in the Metrodome.  It was very packed tonight.  I know I have mentioned this before but I really love running around other runners.  It does not matter if they are faster than me or slower, but there is something about being in an area where there are a lot of other runners. It is one of the main reasons why I like running in both the metrodome and around the Calhoun lakes.

Run tonight was a pretty blah run.  I was tired and my shoes just did not feel comfortable.  My left shoe started out too tight and when I loosened the laces I felt like I was sliding all over the place.  As a result I had this terrible throbbing pain in my right shin. Rather than pushing it for the 1 mile more and potentially screwing something up so close to the marathon, I just stopped. 

I was curious if anyone has heard any of the running related stories that have been on NPR in the last week?  MPR has been talking about the Arrowhead 135, an ultramarathon in the Minnesota Arrowhead Ultramarathon tests endurance limits | Minnesota Public Radio NewsQ.  Its a 135 mile, unsupported marathon through the Minnesota Arrowhead region.  The cool thing is that you can run it, you can bike it, or you can ski it.  The bike that most people use is the local, Surly Pugsley
I have no desire to participate in such an extreme endurance challenge like this where not only do you have to deal with the endurance part of participating in the ultramarathon but have to deal with melting the snow for water and competing in subzero temperatures. I do though truly respect the people that attempt a feat like this, even the ones that do not finish.  Hats off to you ultramarathoners competing in this challenge!

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about liking to run around others. There is a certain positive energy that seems to fly off of runners and I absolutely love it:) Your right it doesn't matter if they are faster of slower...there is just something about it that makes me happy:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been hearing a lot about the NPR story, but I haven't heard it yet. Thanks for linking it, I'll give it a listen. I know a couple people that want to do it after hearing it, but I don't think that's a risk for me!

    ReplyDelete