Monday, March 8, 2010

accuracy of running tools

Well, I am not sure how I managed it but I ended up catching the plague again.  I spent the better part of the weekend laying in bed with a tremendous sinus headache/congestion.  By Sunday, I had gathered up enough strength and felt good enough to go for a long run with Lindsey.

The run started out difficult as I had a hard time finding my stride.  My left leg has been so very tight since the Austin marathon but my mile three it had loosened up.  The run even cleared up my head and I felt really good the rest of the day.  On my run, I decided to try out jogtracker on my HTC Hero phone. We ran the entire run and noticed that the route was longer than we expected, in fact, it was an entire mile longer.  Mapmyrun tracked the run as 14.88 and jogtracker on my phone tracked it as 15.88.  I looked online and there appears to be pretty good support that Mapmyrun is accurate.

Zooming in close the map on jogtracker did not appear to follow our route too closely.  Has anyone ever used any of these phone apps?  Is there one better than the other?

In honor of the Slim Whitman record I have playing right now here is a little diddy by the man:

3 comments:

  1. Hi Honky,
    What the heck, you got sick again! I am glad that the run sort of helped things:) Take care of yourself Chris!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you have the bug that seems to be making its way around the country.

    My GPS (Garmin Forerunner 305) also seems to make me run longer than MapMyRun.com (which uses Google Maps). I stopped worrying about it and just enjoy. Since the Garmin always wants me to run longer I consider it a good thing. :) However, I have never had it off by more than 100 yards for 10 miles. A whole mile is a sizeable difference. Perhaps the phone application was not locked in yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. After doing some research I think I found what the problem was... the phone was in my pocket and it needs line of site to the sky.

    ReplyDelete