Saturday, March 13, 2010

Hell yeah, a good long run!

  This past week I have only been able to run 3 miles each day due to this roving leg issue.  One day my left hip is bothering me, the next its the knee, and then jumps to the shin on my next leg.  Despite this wandering injury and my lack of packing in the miles, I registered for the Lincoln NE marathon on May 2nd on Thursday.  Lindsey has run this marathon several times and has really enjoyed it.  I am looking forward to it, now I just need to get back into the training schedule.  

So I went out for a 16 miler today and was a little hesitant about how it may go given the leg issues.  Before the run, I was down in Chanhassen as part of my job and thought that I would give the old rail trail a shot.  I went out north from Lake Riley and the trail was in really good condition.  One area close to the lack was still a little icy and mushy but the rest of the trail was in excellent shape.  I did an eight out and back.  On the way out it was directly into the wind and I had been a little under dressed but I kept up a really good 8:00 min pace.  No issues with the leg.  On the way back, the lack of water started getting to me and I was cramping up and my pace slowed dramatically.  All and all, the run was great and really picked up my mood.  I know I should not get demoralized by crummy runs but when you have several of them in a row, it can sap your drive to keep going.  Todays run was just what I needed, next time bring some water with me though.  

I was thinking this past week of some running goals for next year.  I am a goal oriented person and like to have tasks that I need to meet.  Keeps me going.  This year I am attempting to run four marathons in a year.  I ran Twin Cities in October, Austin in February, next is Lincoln and then Wineglass marathon in early October.  If I can get all of these done it will probably be the accomplishment of my first, physical/endurance goals in my life, especially given that I had only started running at this time last year.   So ... I was thinking of next year.  I do not think I am going to try to do this many marathons again in a year as it gets expensive and its hard taking the time off of work, but I plan on running two marathons a year at least for the foreseeable future.  One thing is I could try doing a smaller (i.e., 30-ish miles) ultramarathon.  The other was something  I stumbled across called Marathon Maniacs.   There are several levels of being a marathon maniac.  Most I do not have the time or the effort to try to accomplish unless I quit my job and trained full time (still I am not sure if my body would hold up).  The bronze level seems like it would be the most achievable to me.  I would need to:  1. 2 Marathons within a 16 day time frame or 2. 3 Marathons within a 90 day time frame.  I think I could run two marathons within 16 days or 3 within 90.  Well, its something to keep thinking about anyways.  

Song of the post is from the Gin Palace Jesters I used to see playing in Chicago during my brief stint there.  A bunch of great people and a really good follow up album, Road House Riot ... and other songs with words.  The last song on the album is perhaps my favorite of the album,Last One's Left Waltz.  Check them out.  
  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Honky,
    Nice sixteen miler!! You kept up a great pace and I would of been thrilled with your time:) So you signed up for another marathon!! I have also heard good things about the Licoln marathon:) I had my first run with the running group today...it went very well:) Some of these runners have me thinking about a marathon in May! I am not ready and will not be ready by then but I was thinking about just doing it for fun! I could walk part of it if I have to. We will see. I hope that you enjoy the rest of your weekend Chris:)

    ReplyDelete