Friday, January 15, 2010

An abbreviated description of my short life as a runner

Well, I got a few more miles in this week and I think I am ready for the longest run of training for the Austin Marathon.  Lindsey and I have a 22 miler tomorrow morning.  I really love training for marathons but I despise these really long runs.  They hurt and exhaust you, luckily you only have to do a few of them.  We have a 20 miler next weekend and then we get to start dropping the mileage.

I went to the Metrodome last night and it was a good run. 

I ran my scheduled 6 miles and at a pretty good pace.  I am not sure if its cause I have been getting there a bit later than I used to but I am surprised to see how many people are there.  Its never too many where its hard to run at a constant pace. I actually like seeing all the runners there and even though I do not know anyone, its nice seeing the same people week after week.

Running in the Metrodome last night got me thinking how much my life has changed over the year.  Last year at this time, I NEVER ran.  It was not until after I started dating Lindsey that she introduced me to running.  I started in March of 2009 but started off with tremendous hip pain.  With Lindsey's coaching I worked through a lot of the pain and I am not sure what happened but my hip pain disappeared.   I was truly inspired when Lindsey ran the Minneapolis Marathon last year.  I had never been to a running race before and could not imagine the thrill from seeing the runners through the mental and physical struggle of the marathon.

I really started following a running "schedule" when I got back from BRAN (a 454 mile Bike Ride Across Nebraska).  On a whim, I registered for the Twin Cities marathon.  I initially followed the beginner marathon training schedule from runners world but after three weeks I moved up to the intermediary schedule.  When the marathon came around, I was nervous but felt prepared.  I actually enjoyed every part of the marathon, even the last 6.2 miles.  I wanted to run at an 8:30 pace for the marathon and that was exactly what I did.





Shortly, after the marathon, Lindsey and I stumbled across the Austin marathon that takes place on her birthday.  Thus, we decided to start training for the marathon following a running schedule developed by Ann at the Lincoln Running Co.  I am hoping to run the marathon around an 8:00 pace.  We will see how it goes.

I also plan on running the Lincoln, NE Marathon and the Wineglass Marathon in Corning, NY.  The Wineglass marathon takes place on Oct. 3 which would mean that I would have run 4 marathons between Oct. 4 2009 - Oct. 3 2010.  The other cool thing about the Wineglass marathon is that my youngest sister and my mom are thinking of running in either the marathon or the relay.  I also plan on trying to do more 5Ks, 10Ks, and try my first half marathon but have not decided on specifics. 

2009 was a great year to start running and as an added bonus I lost 30 lbs.  I am looking forward to continue running through 2010 and meeting all the goals I set for myself. 

2 comments:

  1. I am so jealous that your girlfriend is a runner too. That is so awesome and very special...think of all of the time you get to spend together doing something that you both feel passionate about! It would be so nice if my husband liked to run....I think that we could motivate each other. I am sure he wishes that I would golf too:) Yes, golfing is another thing that I suck at:)

    Good job with all of your training! It looks like you are getting all of your runs in. I will absolutely try to get to the dome sometime...you make it sound so fun...better yet you were able to keep a consistent pace!

    It appears that you have a great race schedule as well...the Wineglass marathon sounds very cool due to the fact that mom and sis might be joining you!

    This was a great post Honky Tonk and I enjoyed the pictures:) Keep up the great work!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Chris! Your story is so inspiring. Unless I'm racing my bike somewhere, I'll be there to cheer you on at the Lincoln Marathon.

    ReplyDelete