Sunday, January 3, 2010

Under the weather

Ever since the Polar Dash on Friday I have just been wiped out and managed to pick up a cold in the process.  I meant to get out and do my long run (20 miles) but between feeling like crud and having too much work to do, I missed it.  Almost as if they had known, in the most recent issue of Runners World there is an article entitled "Moving Target:  How to outrun germs this cold season-and overcome the symptoms if a virus hits you."  Based on the way I am feeling, I fall into the second category of having the scratchy throat and stuffy nose but not full blown sick.  They suggest three things:  1) Don't skip your run, 2) Tend to your nose, and 3) Drink water throughout the day.  I have two and three under control but totally fell through with the run.  They suggest that when you are feeling under the weather, exercise can temporarily relieve the symptoms and not make you worse.  What are you suppose to do if its hard to muster the energy to fight the below zero chill? This is the first time I have missed a long run on the weekend and its frustrating.  I am hoping that maybe on Wednesday morning I can make up the run first thing in the morning (plus only suppose to be a low of ZERO).

This weeks goals are:
Monday: 6 miles
Tueday: 8 miles at the metrodome
Wednesday: 18-20 miles (maybe?)
Thursday: 4 miles at the metrodome
Friday: 6 miles
Saturday:  back on schedule for my long run!

In honor of this tired and lazy weekend here is some ole stuff from the Carter Sisters:


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info on the dome running! It sounds like something worth checking into...if my schedule permits. I also picked up the most recent Runners World yesterday at Target. I can't wait to start reading. You will be running way more miles than me this week. I will be lucky if I can manage to squeak 16 to 20 miles:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you are feeling better:)

    After Lace Up For Breast Cancer I am planning on running in the Lake Minnetonka half, the Stillwater half, Grandma's half (if I win the lotto) and the Napa to Sonoma Valley half. I am new to the half marathon thing and don't really know how much my body will be able to handle. I will have to take it race by race and see if I can run in more:)

    ReplyDelete