Saturday, January 23, 2010

Necessity is the mother of all inventions

Well not invention but creation but I will get to that in a little bit.

As many of you may know, today was a pretty cruddy day.  Today was warm but rainy and I ended up needing to work today until noon so I missed my best chance of getting a long run in.  I decided that I would put it off until tomorrow which seems to work out cause I will get to run with Lauren around the Calhoun lakes.

I went and drove to the nearest access of the Gateway trail and saw that the conditions were less than ideal.  I decided that I would ....





yes, go for a snowshoe run.  It was a hard run and since it was super soft out.  I do not think I ever was so winded after a 5k run (i am guessing that was the length of the trail since they changed the course).  It was fun though and was able to try out the new jacket from the Running Room. 

Well given the conditions of the trails and the impending doom that is tomorrow (snow showers tonight and colder temperatures), I decided to make some screw shoes.  I had a friend from the UP tell me about how her husband makes these for her using ATV ice racing bits so I thought I would try to make some (I know that YakTrax are only 20$).  Before, I jumped into all of this I looked up "Screw shoes" before I started and found these two links HERE and HERE.  
I went to Menards and bought 100 sheet metal screws and some silicone caulk for 5$.

Notice the Polar Dash tag that I still have not
                                                    removed and the glass of Malbec.                                                    

I used my old shoes, though they have many, many miles on them. I ended up using 19 screws per shoe focusing on the greatest wear points and push off points.




We will see how they go tomorrow. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Honky,
    What a great idea for an old pair of shoes! Let me know what you think. I hope that you have a good run around Calhoun Lake:)

    ReplyDelete