Monday, January 11, 2010

back from a weeks hiatus

Well, last week turned out to be a disaster as far as my running.  The cold that started out over the weekend hit me hard and kept me from going out all week.  Not exactly how I wanted to start out the new year.

On Friday, I travelled down to Lincoln to visit Lindsey since she is now back from Australia.  On Saturday, I finally went out and got new running shoes.  I think the last pair of shoes I bought were back in July.  If you figure I run an average of 30 miles a week (a conservative estimate) that is over 720 miles on one pair of shoes.  Since I started running last March, I have been using the Asics Cumulus series shoes (first the 10s then the 11s).  I really loved the 10s but had some issues with the 11s.  On the 11s they changed the side straps which created an awful tension point on the inside of my foot.  Over the 720 miles, I developed quite a callus in that point. I have been wanted to try a different shoe, so at the Lincoln Running Co. I tried the Mizuno Wave Rider and the Brooks Defyance.  I liked the Mizuno Wave Rider and could feel how much lighter the shoe was but it was hard to turn away from the cushion in the Brooks Defyance.  I broke in the shoes in a short 4mile run at the Lincoln Downtown Y.

The following day, Cara, Lindsey and I set out for our 20 mile long run.  I knew it was going to be a difficult run because I had not run all week but it was a DIFFICULT run.  I twisted my ankle in the snow and it took all I could to get through the run.  Thinking back across all my 20 mile training runs, I have never had a good 20 mile run.  Everyone hurts and is a mental struggle to get through.  Halfway through this run, I slipped into a very, very bad mood.  Luckily, Cara and Lindsey left me behind to wallow in my mood and I was able to work through it.  I ended up picking up the pace and finishing the entire run.

Today, I just finished up a 6.0 mile recovery run at Phalen Lake.  I really like running that lake.  For some reason when I run recovery runs at other places like Como, I struggle but this run tonight felt great and I could  feel all the lactic acid leaving my muscles.

In addition to a good run tonight, I FINALLY registered for the Austin marathon on Feb 14, 2010.  Lindsey and Cara registered too, so we are going to turn it into a road trip!

Weeks running outlook:
Sunday: 20 mile
Monday: 6 miles
Tuesday: 10 miles (metrodome)
Wednesday: 6 miles
Thursday: 6 miles (metrodome)
Friday: off
Saturday: 22 miles

Because I am back in running condition, here is a little diddy by Gene Autry:

1 comment:

  1. It is good to hear that you are back in your running shoes:) You ran 20 miles!! Wow, I am so not close to that distance yet! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete