Sunday, January 24, 2010

Last 20 miler until the marathon

Well I went ahead and did it, I completed the last 20 miler of this training period.  Next week is an easy 12 and then 8.  I do not know what I am going to do with all this extra energy.

I went running at the Calhoun Chain of Lakes.  For the first loop, I ran with my friend Lauren.  She is currently training for her first half marathon in Long Beach on Feb. 7.  It was nice having a running partner for the first half of the run.  The trails were pretty good, the worse spots were the connections between Lake Harriet and Lake Calhoun and then between Lake Calhoun and Lake of the Isles.  Did not end up using my screwshoes but it looks like I will have another opportunity this week.   It was pretty grey out and drizzled on us from time to time.



Second loop, I tried to keep it at around an 8 min pace and zipped around the lakes.  I felt pretty good, though my legs were cramping up about 500m from my finish point.  I was telling Lauren on our first loop that last time I saw some people windsurfing with snowboards out on Calhoun but they were not out there when we went by.  On my second loop, there they were:
 



Well, off to watch the Vikings game. 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Honky,
    I am glad that your run around the lakes went well! Maybe sometime when it warms up I will have to drive out there and give your route of the lakes a try. I love the pictures!! Go vikings:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie: You should definitely run there when its warm. It is one of my favorite places to run during the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job getting that 20 miler in! I love running the lakes. Cool picture of the windsurfer. Enjoy your well earned taper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So what do you do at the U? I still take classes there. I took this spring off but will most likely start again in the fall. I only have Wednesdays off from work and it was impossible to find a night class to work around my schedule. What was your degree? Do you think that you will stay in the state? Thanks for sharing:) I do love finding more out about people! Also thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Julie, I am a post doc at the University. Basically, I research the ecology of the common carp (an invasive fish). I got my PhD in Fisheries Ecology from Texas Tech University. I would love to stay here in Minnesota, I truly love it here (except running in the winter).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you:) Our Minnesota winters are a little to long! It would be great if we could have snow and winter for like two months and then back to spring:) I think January is always the hardest...it seems so long and cold! Now we just need to get through February and then smooth sailing into spring:)

    ReplyDelete