Friday, January 1, 2010

Ringing in the new year

Wow, these past few days have just flown by.  I ended up taking Wednesday off from running and went for some skate skiing at Como Park for a little bit.  I forgot how much of a workout that is.  I really need to spend some time working on my technique.  I just started last year and I struggle trying to get the V1 down.  Strangely, I have no problem doing the supposedly more difficult V2.

Last night, was New Years Eve and I went for a 4-miler at the Metrodome again, but brought my friend Lauren. I felt good getting the run done and not having to use the horrid treadmill.    

Today was the Polar Dash at 11am. It is part of the Team Ortho Marathon Series.  Here is some more info on the race by Heather Brown from WCCO-TV. Got a knit hat and gloves as part of the race swag, really nice.

  This was my first 10K and I was pretty excited about it.  Problem was no one I knew was there watching or participating, which kind of stunk, and it was freaking cold, 2 degrees.  I dressed warm with tights, my Mizuno Breath Thermal (one of the best items I ever purchased) and my new REI balaclava.  I started out with the 7:49 pace group but moved ahead of them by the first mile check.  It was a good out-and-back route, along the East River Parkway starting from the Shriners hospital.  I felt good through most of the race except that my eyelashes froze into my eyebrows which in turn froze into my hat.  Finished in 44:09 which is a 7:07 pace.  My goal had been to do a 7:30 pace so I was really happy.  I do think that if I had gotten a little more sleep last night and did not drink so many alcoholic beverages I would have been able to get a little faster.  All and all, a very fun and successful first 10K and a great way to ring in the new year.


Race Stats

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that was a pretty impressive 10k time Mr. Honky Tonk! It was cold at first but I think that once we got moving it was actually nice. Could it be that we may be just getting used to it? Thanks for your comment, I have added you to my list of blogs to read and look forward to reading more:)

    Hey, I noticed that you said you have been running in the dome. What is that all about? I also dislike running on the mill.....that would be a great alternative!

    ReplyDelete