Monday, January 18, 2010

Most expensive underwear ever

Its been a struggle shifting from wearing running shorts with liners to running pants.  Since it has been so incredibly cold lately, I have been trying to find the best running underwear to wear with my tights and running pants.  Typical boxers do not wick well enough, so being fairly cheap I went and bought some of the technical boxers at REI thinking these would be the answer.

Unfortunately, after trying them for several long runs, there are seams on the inner thigh that chafed my legs horrible.  On Sunday, I went to the Running Room on Grand and looked through their selection and it was pretty sparce but they did have these:


They did not have any bad seams and they had this extra benefit of having a wind guard in the front (sounds like a perfect idea on these COLD and WINDY MN days) but they were 25$.  I wind not normally spend 25 on a single pair of underwear but given the pain I have been in after the long runs I broke down and got them.   I gave them a try today on a 6.25 mile route around Phalen and I was amazed.  They worked great and no chafing issues, not sure how they will be on a long run but I will find out on my 20-miler this weekend.

I also found this jacket there:

Normally, the jacket was listed for 80$ and they had them onsale for 19.99$.  I have been looking for a better running jacket because I normally wear my Pearl Izumi cycling jacket.  The PI jacket is great for shorter runs (< 6 miles) but over that it gets sopping wet with sweat and then I FREEZE.  I also tried this new jacket today and it was fantastic.  It was such a great buy.

Weekly goals:
Sun: Off
Mon: 6 miles
Tues: 6 mile tempo (Metrodome)
Wed: 6 miles
Thur: 6 mile tempo (Metrodome)
Fri: 3-4 miles
Sat: 20 miles

I have also been thinking of sharing with you some of my favorite NEW albums from 2009.  It was a great year for some really good hardcore twang.  The first album is by Seattle native Zoe Muth and the Lost High Rollers.  This is an excellent album and has anything you could want:   Zoe's vocals and lyricism reminiscent of Dolly Parton, superb musicianship throughout but stellar mandolin and pedal steel.
Here is one of my favorite songs from the album:

3 comments:

  1. Hi Honky,
    I love getting new clothing items to run in!!! I am going to have to check out the Maple Grove Running Room and see if they have any good deals:) Thanks for the tip on the possible "sale" items. The jacket was a steal:) I need to find something to wear on Sat!! I signed up for the frozen half and there is no backing out now. Maybe I will see you there!!

    Have great day Honky!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I am liking the wind guard action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christopher, I like the briefs you talked about for running. You didn't state what brand they are. Can you provide me with more information (at least a name if available) so I can look them up and see if they can be purchased through a company online. My email address is carlos.carlosmichael@gmail.com Thanks!

    ReplyDelete