Thursday, January 21, 2010

Where is everyone?

I ended up taking yesterday off.  For some reason my heels were hurting like hell yesterday.  Since I did the marathon in October, I wake up almost every morning with intense heel pain.  Good ole' plantar fasciitis.  It almost always goes away by the time I get to work it is gone (also with the aid of some ibuprofen) but yesterday I had pain all day long.  I thought that I should not push it last night.

Tonight, I went to the metrodome as usual and I was very surprised at how few people were there last night.  Where was everyone?  The roads were icy and fairly cruddy but they were not horrible.  Is everyone getting ready for the half marathon on Saturday?  Or could you just have been like me and plain tired.  I had wanted to run tempos again like on Tuesday but just did not have it in me.  Instead, I did 2 miles at an 8-830 minute pace, then did 2 miles at a 652 pace and then 2 miles at 8.

While I was running I was thinking about listening to music.  When I first started to run, I refused to run without an ipod.  I was actually worried about how I would make it through the Twin Cities marathon without one.  Then one day on a long run I decided to go without it.  Now, on all runs outside the metrodome or off the treadmill I do not use it.  I like being able to hear my breathing and pacing myself based on that.  I find that when I do have music on, I run to the pace of music and tend to have erratic paces or too fast of a pace.  What are your music listening preferences?  Ipod or no Ipod?

Speaking of music, here is another of my favorite albums of the year.  Slaid Cleaves, an artist out of Austin, released "Everything you love will be taken away." Not honky tonk per se but a magnificent americana blend of folk, country, and rock.  Typically, I just post a video of one of these songs from the album, but on his website he has this widget (below) that allows you to stream 4 of his songs.



iTunes sell music
Quantcast

But here is a video too:

1 comment:

  1. I have almost never used music to run along with. Usually I am looking for birds, or if its a long run (10+) I am chatting with others. I have a hard time running by myself over 1.5hr.
    Most runs allow me to think about what I have to do next, or decide which flavor of Ben and Jerry's to eat!

    ReplyDelete